ROTTERDAM, August 28 -- Netanyahu, PM of Israel, speaks about truce amid criticism at home that offensive has done little to rein in Palestinian group.
Israel has made its first official statement over the ceasefire it signed with Hamas, saying the Palestinian group that runs Gaza has been dealt a major blow and that it did not receive any of the demands it had made.
"The ceasefire was achieved without any of the terms being given," Netanyahu said, before reeling off key demands Hamas had made but were not accepted, including reopening the seaport and airport and removing restrictions on the movement of the people of Gaza.
He said tunnels and the infrastructure Hamas had built over the years had been destroyed and that ground forces were deployed for that reason, adding that Israeli forces had been withdrawn to prevent kidnapping by Hamas fighters.
Netanyahu's comments came amid criticism over his handling of the seven-week military operation that has killed more than 2,200 people. Israel lost 64 soldiers and six civilians. Both hard-liners in his governing coalition, as well as residents of rocket-scarred southern Israel, have said the war was a failure because it did not halt Hamas' rocket attacks or remove the group from power. The ambiguous ceasefire delivered an immediate halt in the fighting and has promised an easing of Israel's blockade of Gaza to allow humanitarian aid and construction goods to enter for the rebuilding of the territory.
All goods are to go in under international supervision.